AthFest Educates Announces Featured Artists for Special 20th Anniversary CD Set
The 2016 compilation CD, which was curated by a team of UGA Music Business Program (MBUS) students, will be paired with a CD with a collection of greatest hits from the last 19 years of AthFest compilation albums.
The 19 tracks chosen for the “Best of AthFest,” Disc One of the set are:
- “Wanderlust,” R.E.M.;
- “I Don’t Even Care About the One I Love,” The Whigs;
- “Rock Solid,” Drive-By Truckers;
- “The Scorpion Departs But Never Returns,” Vic Chesnutt;
- “Walking With the Beggar Boys,” Elf Power;
- “Forest Gum,” New Madrid;
- “Frightened,” Easter Island;
- “Talks American,” The Fountains;
- “Highway 316 Revisited,” Kinney, Schools, Lesemann, Sell & Blackmon;
- “Whole Lotta Love,” Five Eight;
- “Learn How to Disappear,” Casper and the Cookies;
- “Do Me Right,” Ruby Kendrick;
- “Here Tonight,” Sam Burchfield;
- “Pie Pan,” Empire State;
- “Misdirection,” Widespread Panic;
- “Offset,” Monahan;
- “Thorn,” Bain Mattox;
- “Let It Be,” Lona;
- “Padawan of Your Love,” The Hernies
Artists with tracks featured on disc two are: Big Morgan, DANK, Dream Culture, T.S. Woodward, Grand, Russell Vandiver, Blanks & Postage, Monkier, The Welcome Home, Summer Sonics, Son & Thief, The ArchAngel, Walden, Grassland String Band, Tarnation, Kayla Berrie, Wieuca, The Orange Constant, Grant Cowan, and PURSES.
The MBUS students worked with MBUS Director David Barbe, collecting and rating the songs, then deciding on the final line-up. Corin Rogers, the student liaison for the project said, “It was a really fun selection process. We had so many submissions with a wide range of genres and sub-genres. Overall, it was our goal to have musical variety on the album, in order to capture a sound that best represents the Athens music scene right now.”
AthFest Educates is hosting a release party for its special 20th anniversary CD-set at the 40 Watt, Thursday May 5th, with three Athens bands included on the 2016 CD performing, including Walden, The Orange Constant and Dream Culture. Doors open at 8:30pm, music starts at 9pm. Tickets are $5 online here and at the door. Early sales of the CD set will be available exclusively at this event, before the official release on June 21st. The event is for ages 18 and older. The CD set is $15, and proceeds from tickets and CD sales benefit AthFest Educates.
Russ Hallauer at Ghostmeat Records produced the set, as he has for the last 19 years. The CD set, which is sponsored by Flagpole Magazine, Chase Park Transduction, and Oasis Disc. The CD set is $15 and will be available at AthFest.com, Ghostmeat.com, select record stores, at AthFest merch booths and globally via iTunes and other digital music stores.